Answer: Yes, there are currently 53 online master’s in strategic communication programs offered at schools throughout the United States.
Strategic communication is defined as the various forms of communication management and strategy that further the objectives of an organization, including organizational communication, marketing communication, and public relations. Online master’s in strategic communication programs provide students with the knowledge and skills to tackle communication challenges and initiatives in a variety of organizational settings, including in the marketing, public relations, and human resources departments of corporations, political advocacy organizations, advertising agencies, and at non-profit organizations. These programs teach students the principles of persuasive communication, communication ethics, new media technologies and how to leverage them, social media strategies, marketing campaign design and implementation, and communication research and data analysis.
Graduates of online master’s in strategic communication programs typically pursue careers in marketing and advertising, public relations, human resources, creative media, and advocacy for organizations in both the public and private sectors. Online programs in this field may be beneficial for communication professionals who wish to pursue their degree while maintaining full-time employment. However, these programs are no less rigorous than their campus-based counterparts, and often use interactive elements to ensure student engagement in the course content. Online master’s in communication programs, like campus-based programs, also typically require students to complete a master’s thesis, research project, comprehensive exam, and/or a practicum experience in addition to fulfilling course requirements.
Examples of Online Master’s in Strategic Communication Programs
Currently, there are 53 online master’s in strategic communication programs in the United States. Below are brief descriptions of four of these online master’s in strategic communication programs:
- American University’s School of Communication has an Online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication with courses that cover the principles of strategic communication, strategic communication research and writing, media ethics, digital advocacy, political communication, crisis communication, and global strategic communication.
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s College of Media offers an Online Master of Science in Strategic Brand Communication featuring courses in strategic branding, business management, consumer behavior and insights, promotional strategy, data analytics and visualization, media management, and project management.
- The University of Iowa’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication offers an Online Master’s in Strategic Communication with courses in media management, strategic communication campaigns, risk communication, strategic political communication, leadership communication, strategic healthcare, and copywriting.
- Washington State University’s Department of Strategic Communication offers an Online Master’s in Strategic Communication with classes in professional multimedia content, global crisis communication management, persuasive rhetoric in the workplace, digital content promotion, brand development, consumer behavior, and professional marketing communication campaigns and management.
Most online master’s in strategic communication programs have graduation requirements in addition to the completion of coursework. These requirements may include a comprehensive examination covering core program concepts, a master’s thesis that investigates an issue in strategic communication, an applied project that seeks to address a communication challenge within a particular setting, and/or an internship that gives students the opportunity to apply the concepts they learn in class to work in a real professional setting.
|Featured Online Master's in Strategic Communication Programs|
|University of Delaware||Online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication with Optional Concentrations in Public Relations or Digital and Social Media||Program Website|
|American University||Online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication with Optional Concentrations in Advocacy and Social Impact, and Digital Communication Strategies & Analytics||Program Website|
|Butler University||Online Master of Science in Strategic Communication||Program Website|
|Georgetown University||Online Master of Professional Studies in Public Relations & Corporate Communications||Program Website|
|Syracuse University||Online M.S. in Communications Management||Program Website|
|Queens University of Charlotte||Online Master of Arts in Communication with a Specialization in Strategic Communication||Program Website|
|West Virginia University||Online Master of Science in Integrated Marketing Communications||Program Website|
|Concordia University, Saint Paul||Online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication Management||Program Website|
Example Curriculum and Courses in Online Master’s in Strategic Communication Programs
Below is a sample curriculum for an online master’s in strategic communication program. Please note that programs vary in their course content and sequencing, and that the curriculum provided below is only an example.
|Curriculum Component||Course Titles and Graduation Requirement Descriptions|
(Potential Capstone Options)
For a comprehensive list of campus-based, online, and hybrid master’s in strategic communication programs, as well as details on the typical courses and other requirements that these programs entail, please refer to our Master’s in Strategic Communication Programs resource page.
Note: MastersinCommunications.com classifies master’s in communication programs based on program curricula including required and elective courses. The programs included on this page do not have to have a specific specialization in strategic communication, but they must include courses in areas such as strategic communication, organizational leadership, corporate and organizational communication, crisis communication, social media strategy, public relations, and/or marketing communication. Therefore, programs with several different names, including: master’s in communication, communication management, corporate communication, integrated marketing communication, and mass communication may be found on this page.
Directory of Online Master’s in Strategic Communication Programs
Search Online Master's in Strategic Communication Programs
All Online Master's in Strategic Communication Degree Programs
American University(District of Columbia)
- Online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication with Optional Concentrations in Advocacy and Social Impact, and Digital Communication Strategies & Analytics Interview with Paula Weissman, Ph.D. - American University
Learn more about the online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication program - visit online.american.edu
Arkansas State University(Arkansas)
Bowling Green State University(Ohio)
- Online Master of Science in Strategic Communication
Learn more about the online Master of Science in Strategic Communication program - visit online.butler.edu
California Baptist University(California)
Central Connecticut State University(Connecticut)
Concordia University, Saint Paul(Minnesota)
- Online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication Management
Learn more about the online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication Management program - visit online.csp.edu
East Carolina University(North Carolina)
Edinboro University of Pennsylvania(Pennsylvania)
Florida International University(Florida)
Fordham University(New York)
Kansas State University(Kansas)
- Online Master’s in Strategic Communication and Leadership with an Optional Concentration in Emerging & Digital Media Interview with Leilani Carver-Madalon, Ph.D. - Maryville University
Learn more about the online Master's in Strategic Communication and Leadership program - visit online.maryville.edu
Michigan State University(Michigan)
Penn State World Campus(Pennsylvania)
Queens University of Charlotte(North Carolina)
- Online Master of Arts in Communication with a Specialization in Strategic Communication Interview with John A. McArthur, Ph.D. - Queens University of Charlotte Interview with Zachary White, Ph.D. - Queens University of Charlotte
Learn more about the online MA in Communication program - visit online.queens.edu
Sacred Heart University(Connecticut)
- Online Master's in Strategic Communication and Public Relations (SCPR) Interview with Candace Parrish, Ph.D. - Sacred Heart University
Learn more about the online Master's in Strategic Communication and Public Relations (SCPR) program - visit onlineprograms.sacredheart.edu
Southeastern Louisiana University(Louisiana)
Spring Arbor University(Michigan)
State University of New York at Oswego(New York)
Syracuse University(New York)
- Online M.S. in Communications Management
Learn more about the online M.S. in Communications Management program - visit onlinegrad.syracuse.edu
Texas Tech University(Texas)
The University of Iowa(Iowa)
The University of Oklahoma(Oklahoma)
The University of Tennessee at Martin(Tennessee)
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville(Tennessee)
University of Arkansas at Little Rock(Arkansas)
University of Delaware(Delaware)
- Online Master of Arts in Strategic Communication with Concentrations in Public Relations or Digital and Social Media Interview with Kami J. Silk, Ph.D. - University of Delaware
Learn more about the online MA in Strategic Communication program - visit online.udel.edu
University of Denver(Colorado)
University of Florida(Florida)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign(Illinois)
University of Maryland Global Campus(Maryland)
University of Nebraska-Lincoln(Nebraska)
University of Southern California(California)
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater(Wisconsin)
Washington State University(Washington)
West Virginia University(West Virginia)
- Online Master of Science in Integrated Marketing Communications (Strategy, Marketing and Public Relations) Interview with Chad Mezera - West Virginia University (IMC)
Learn more about the online Master of Science in Integrated Marketing Communications program - visit marketingcommunications.wvu.edu