Pace University’s Dyson College of Arts and Sciences offers an online Master of Arts (MA) in Communications and Digital Media that prepares students to excel in managerial and leadership positions in traditional and digital forms of media and communications. Students can specialize their learning by choosing an optional concentration in Digital Filmmaking and Media Production or Social Media and Public Relations, or they can create their own elective path.
- Digital Filmmaking and Media Production: From content creation to video editing, students receive hands-on training in every stage of media production, and gain exposure to industry-standard technologies. Example elective courses include: Creative Writing for Media Professionals, Media Innovation, Editing Aesthetics, Industrial Media Production, Media Law, Digital Video Field Production, and more.
- Social Media and Public Relations: In this concentration, students develop advanced skills in leadership, social networking, and digital communications. This concentration is perfect for professionals interested in communication management and corporate communication careers. Example elective courses include: Media Relations, Corporate Communication and Responsibility, Digital Communications Leadership, Organizational Communications and Social Responsibility, Multi-Platform Communications, and more.
- Elective Path Option: Students who choose not to select a concentration complete the remaining credit requirements by selecting electives from either path.
|Pace University - Dyson College of Arts and Sciences
|Online Master of Arts in Communications and Digital Media with Optional Concentrations in Digital Filmmaking and Media Production, and Social Media and Public Relations
|Program Website >>
A Communications Master’s to Get You Further in Your Career
This fully online master’s program requires no campus visits and uses the Brightspace learning management system to provide students with both asynchronous and synchronous instruction. Students learn from industry experts and connect with an alumni network of industry leaders at companies like NBC Sports, HBO, and A+E Networks entirely virtually.
To earn the MA in Communication and Digital Media, students are required to complete 36 credit hours of coursework, as well as a written comprehensive exam. The program is made up of four required courses and an internship or thesis project that gives students hands-on opportunities for professional experience.
- Students who choose the thesis option can write a traditional, long-form research paper or propose an applied project of comparable rigor. Thesis students meet with the program director to choose a topic for their research study or project. Then, throughout their thesis, they work one-on-one with a faculty member who provides guidance and advises the student on their paper or project.
- Students who opt for an internship meet with the program director and a Career Services counselor, who help them secure interviews for potential positions. Once students secure an approved placement, they work with their internship supervisor to determine the responsibilities of their internship. Students must complete 160 hours of work and submit a portfolio of their internship work in order to earn credit.
Students can choose from three starts per year: fall, spring, and summer, and may complete the program in as few as 18 months if they take courses over the summer.
Pace University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Online Master of Arts in Communications and Digital Media
Department: Dyson College of Arts and Sciences
Specializations/Concentrations: Optional Concentrations in Digital Filmmaking and Media Production, and Social Media and Public Relations
Structure: Online program
Instruction Methods: Program uses asynchronous and synchronous instruction using the Brightspace learning management system
Campus Visits Required: None
Program Length: Program can be completed in as few as 18 months
Start Dates: Three starts per year: fall, spring, and summer
Curriculum and Graduation Requirements
Credits Required: 36 credits (9 courses)
Thesis Required: No
Capstone Options: Thesis or internship plus a comprehensive exam
Example Courses: Industry Communications Theory and Practice; Writing for Organizations; Effective Speaking for Industry Professionals; Media Innovation; Creative Writing for Media Professionals; Industrial Media Production; Media Law; Effective Web Architecture and Communication Design; Digital Video Field Production; Media Relations; Digital Communications Leadership
Learn more about the online Master of Arts in Communications and Digital Media - visit
GPA Requirements: Minimum undergraduate GPA 3.0 is preferred
Testing Requirements: GRE not required
Admission Requirements: Bachelor's degree; two letters of recommendation; resume; personal statement; portfolio. Students from outside the US may be subject to additional requirements.
Estimated Tuition*: ~$38,160 + fees
Cost per Credit Hour: $1,060 per credit hour
State Authorizations: Program accepts students from all 50 states